September 18, 2013

Back Surgery, Part III

What was the name of my surgery?  A decompression and fusion of L5-S1 with pedicle screws.
What did I do today?  Well, I woke up around 8:30.  I had a very hard time falling asleep the night before, it was probably 1 am before I slept.  Showering and dressing takes me at least half an hour.  I'm not allowed to bend or twist or reach or lift.  I wear a brace anytime I'm not reclining in bed, unless I'm showering.  So showering is a respite from the brace (but also a little scary).  When is the last time you put on underwear without bending?  Yah, it's tricky.  So I get dressed, and put the brace back on.  Then I sit on a stool to comb my hair, take my drugs.  I choose a pair of socks and find a chair to sit on to try to get them on.  I usually give up and have someone else do it, but today I did it all by myself!  Yay!  Then, I texted Rob to say I was coming downstairs.  (He was on the phone, working.)  Breakfast was simply cereal.  Then I spent a few minutes working on a puzzle.  Then Rob was ready to get some fabric out so I can make a sort of body pillow to sleep with, so I went upstairs. I didn't quite have the pattern worked out yet in my head, so I headed back downstairs, worked on the puzzle some more, and texted with a friend.  But texting on the cell phone is hard, so I headed upstairs to use the laptop. I tuck my phone into the front of my brace so I don't have to carry it.  Going up and down stairs requires a cane in one hand, the rail in the other.  By then Rob was at work (at his real office) and it's good to have the phone in case I fall or have trouble.  Did some Skyping.  Did a little work on church stuff.  Walked to the mailbox and got the mail.  It was a little heavy, there were about 3 magazines and a package.  Asked Rob to pick up some tacos for me on his way home.  Took a rest on the bed.  Worked on the puzzle again.  Went upstairs again and did some more computer work.  Went down again and asked neighbor M to go for a walk with me.  Walked all the way to the park and home again.  Went upstairs again.  Went back down for dinner.  Worked on the puzzle again.  Finished it!  Tried typing this blog on the sofa.  Didn't last too long.  Moved to bed.  Now, it's about time to go back upstairs, go to bed for real.  No naps today.  But I'm doing well.  It only hurts a little bit to roll out of bed now, and to push up into a sitting position.  I'm getting really good at getting my brace on and tightened properly.  I can occasionally do a few stairs without the cane, but I still feel more secure having it there and relying on it partially.
Oh, and what about the original pain?  It was immediately gone.  I felt a twinge of it tonight while sitting on the sofa, and that's ok.  The surgeon said it might return for a few weeks while I begin to heal.  I hope it won't get too bad.  I've been icing my back and taking my ibuprofen.  All the bandages are off my back and the sutures are beginning to dissolve.  I will return to normal, step by step.

No comments: